Whats the difference between Syrian protestors and the occupy movement? the answer is not much, there is no fundamental difference between the two, apart from the fact that one group is operating in an arab nation which is pro-iran and an enemy of the US, and the other is a group operating in the worlds foremost superpower the US, you see the reason the Syrian revolution is called a revolution while the occupiers are called lunatics is simple, its called propaganda, only propaganda can turn a complicated civil-war in Syria into a united revolution, and only propaganda can turn a movement of thousands of working people like Occupy into a movement of lunatics and rapists alcoholics
First lets look at Syria and how propaganda has turned a historical ethnic and religious divide into a spontaneous revolution of the people, Syria is a nation divided on tribal lines, now the country is being led by Bashar Al-Assad who hails from the Alawi religious/ethnic group, he came to power in 2000 after succeeding his father Havez Al-Assad who ruled for 29 years.
His father rose to power in the 70s and purged the Syrian Ba’ath party in order to effectively have an Alawi ruled Syria, this understandably created tension among other tribes who had lost power and influence in Syria, so ever since then there has being political dissesnt and protest in Syria in order to overthrow the Alawis and install some other tribe to power, and the current Syrian uprising is just the continuation of such political dissent, it is not a revolution in the western sense, as in it is not a united people fighting to overthrow one regime to install a regime of equality, instead it is a civil-war where you have many ethnic and religious groups fighting to gain power for their group. So how on earth do people in the west believe the Syrian uprising is a spontaneous revolution by a united people to gain freedom from a horrible government? it is simple, the reason western citizens believe such complete nonsense is because of propaganda, the west is the most propagandized place on earth and America is the most propagandized nation in modern history a lot more so than nazi germany. Through a media technique that arose in the 70s/80s and called the propaganda model, Americans have become completely under the influence of propaganda created by the elitists to dumb people down so that the élite sector can go about its darker activities without the fear of public interest in what they do, for example in a 2006 Harris interactive poll 50% of americans polled believed Saddam had WMDs, another HI poll in 2006 said 64% of Americans believed Saddam Hussein had strong links to al-Qaeda, one more recent example found that 22% of america actually believe Saddam planned 9/11.
How can so many people believe such obvious lies ? again it is mass propaganda that is conducted by profit-first news channels who all go along with what politicians and the business sector want them to say. The reason the west and mainly the US does not want its citizens knowing the truth about the history of these middle east uprisings is because it fears americans and westerners in general will become aware of the long and mostly brutal western political and business involvement in the political and social life of numerous MENA countries. so instead of the political and financial élite telling the truth of the arab uprisings instead what they do is get their media buddies to broadcast black and white propaganda that makes the civil-war in Syria out to be a spontaneous revolution, this technique of historical revisionism not only distracts the population at home from past american involvement but it also creates a surge of support for new american military activity in the MENA region, and of course western politicians love to jump at any chance they get to increase their influence over third world countries.
Now lets look at the occupy movement and how propaganda by a profit first media has turned a legitimate political movement of concerned young and old people into a movement of crackpot rapists. The answer to such a smear is that the US media and other privately owned profit first news channels in the west media have completely set out from the start to smear the Occupy movement, for the simple reason that the people who own and make a profit out of the corporate media are part of the 1% that the occupy movement is fighting against, they are part of the capitalist system that most occupiers oppose, they are the enemy of the occupiers so why would the enemy of the movement broadcast positive news coverage and information on it? it would be complete stupidity for mainstream news and financial institutions to support a movement that wants to overthrow the system they currently profit from. The élite in politics, media and business fear the population becoming aware of their activities and that’s why since the 50s they have conducted a propaganda campaign to misinform the public in order to pacify a natural tendency to revolt, and the current negative coverage and misinformation on the occupy movement is just another example of the establishment trying to tame as Noam Chomsky calls “the great beast”, the public.
You see the Occupy movement is a movement not of lunatic alcoholic crackpots, it is a movement of educated and concerned citizens that include factory workers, builders, students, professors, and people from all walks of life that are concerned about their children, their rights, their freedom, they are concerned about the victims of american policy, they are not lunatics but rational compassionate people, after all they have had highly regarded supporters and speakers from such fields as economics, political science, history philosophy and journalism, from Amy Goodman to Norman Finkelstein, Steve Keen and even Chomsky. How can a movement which gets support from such figures be ignored by the mainstream as lunatic? the answer again is propaganda, the establishment wont support it because if it does then the majority of hard-working people in the west will support it and this will eventually lead to a political shift in power and economics that will affect their own interests politically and financially so the obvious thing for these media elitists to do is smear the legitimate concerns of working people in order to uphold their own grip on power that would be destroyed if occupy got its way.
Remember the difference between Syrian protestors and occupy protestors, is that Syrians have western propaganda on their side while occupiers have it against them, and it is hell of a lot easier to overthrow a corrupt regime when you have such propaganda and military power on your side. The media should stop being hypocrites again by supporting Syrian and arab protestors while at the same time denouncing their own concerned citizens who have the courage and dedication to get out on the streets and protest against the greed and abuse of power by figures in the politics, finance and media and to rightfully oppose violations of their political and economic rights.We need to look past the obvious propaganda that is out to strip citizens of their right to protest and their right to truth, we need to be rational when looking at such situations because we all know if the occupy movement happened in an arab country then the US and Its media mouthpieces would be openly supporting it as a “democratic revolution by the ordinary people” its just when the revolution affects their interest that they don’t support it.
Thanks for reading
Author -Darren M
- BBC Wages Propaganda War on Syria (sjlendman.blogspot.com)
- BBC Caught Using Iraq Mass Grave Photo As Syria Propaganda (alexanderhiggins.com)
- SOTT FOCUS: NATO’s ‘Civil War’ Machine Rolls Into Syria (sott.net)
- Syria signals the West (turcopolier.typepad.com)
- BBC Caught In Syria Massacre Propaganda Hoax – MUST READ (jhaines6.wordpress.com)
- Anti-Syrian Propaganda Promotes War (sjlendman.blogspot.com)
- Understanding the Propaganda War Against Syria (landdestroyer.blogspot.com)
- Syria: Diplomatic deadlock, deaths go on (edition.cnn.com)
- Houla, Syria Stunt Proves: Old Tricks are the Best Tricks (EndtheLie.com)
- The Slaughter In Syria (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- More Syrian diplomats expelled over Houla massacre (cbc.ca)
- BBC Wages Propaganda War on Syria (inpursuitofhappiness.wordpress.com)
- Houla massacre: Syria is a tragedy but it would be madness for Britain to intervene (dailymail.co.uk)
- Syria joins roll call of civilian slaughter (guardian.co.uk)
- Somebody is using illegaly one of my images for anti syrian propaganda on the BBC web site front page (zokstersomething.wordpress.com)
- Yes, Syria is a tragedy but it would be madness for Britain to intervene (dailymail.co.uk)
- Syria Crisis: Turkey, Japan Expel Syrian Diplomats In Wake Of Houla Massacre (huffingtonpost.com)
- Iara Lee: The Only True Revolution in Syria Is Nonviolent (huffingtonpost.com)
- IMO, McCain wants war in Syria and Iran (turcopolier.typepad.com)
- Lebanese join the Free Syrian Army’s struggle (dailystar.com.lb)
- Syria’s war ignites sectarian strife in Lebanon (theglobeandmail.com)
- Turkey expels diplomats as Syria denounces protest (dailystar.com.lb)
- Shirk of the Syrian Alawi religion/regime (islampeaceequality.com)
- UFS Co-Sponsors U.S. Institute of Peace Minority Rights Panel (prweb.com)
- Turkey expels diplomats as Syria denounces protest (todayonline.com)
- Annan Leaves Syria Without Government Steps to Implement Plan (voanews.com)
- On the massacre in Houla, Syria (antonyloewenstein.com)
- Fresh Violence Erupts In Syria; China Reiterates Opposition To Military Intervention (ibtimes.com)
- Syria at ‘tipping point’ – Annan (bbc.co.uk)
- Why Bashar al-Assad needs terrorism (guardian.co.uk)
- Annan Leaves Syria Without Breakthrough (blogs.voanews.com)
- Syria crisis: Kofi Annan reports to UN (guardian.co.uk)
- A False Photo From a Real Massacre (theatlantic.com)
- Don’t End the Propaganda Ban on American Citizens (fromthetrenchesworldreport.com)
- Manipulative Mass Media Uses Massacre Mascara To Paint Syrian Leader As A Monster (disquietreservations.blogspot.com)
- Iran Warns: Foreign Intervention in Syria Will Bury Israel (israelnationalnews.com)
- Syria: The terror operation of Jeffrey Feltman (therearenosunglasses.wordpress.com)
- Activists: Syrian troops shell area where more than 100 people were massacred last week (foxnews.com)